Thursday, August 17, 2017

Measuring What Matters Pt. 2

So, at the beginning of the summer, I was thinking a lot about how to measure the things from my math class that are the most important to the future success of my students. If you care to read about my thought process I blogged about it here.

Anyhoo... After lots of back and forth, I created what I am calling the "Success Behaviors Self Evaluation"

Here's how I plan to use it:

Students have an agenda (used school wide), a math journal, and file folder which houses their math work. Students will pull from these sources to create a curated portfolio of evidence that demonstrates their current personal strengths (and weaknesses) in the 5 areas on the Self Evaluation. They will grade themselves and justify the grade they have given themselves.

Students will have short meetings with me to discuss their grading and calibrate (I predict that many will be harder on themselves than I would be, and I will probably have a few who over estimate their demonstration of skill as well).

This will happen at least twice per grading period (so students can show growth over the grading period)

I am still required to give traditional letter grades, and this does not account for their entire grade either (the rest is all assessments).

I have NO IDEA how this is going to go and I am totally nervous about it. It might flop... or blow up in my face.... But I just can't shake the feeling that at least my thinking is heading in the right direction by attempting this :) - Wish me luck everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment